Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Web 2.Oh!

"When you have a program that is exceeding expectations, you have the foundation for success. Empowering the patrons will empower your library." stated George Bishop from Ovid-Elsie Schools, a small rural school library. I read a few articles on Web 2.0, but this one was close to my heart. Advocacy: A Ripple Effect, written by Mr. Bishop, discussed how his small school library has grown and made a significant impact in his community. I too reside in a small town, not even reaching Ovid-Elsie's population of 900. We have a small library, which I have yet to explore, due to its weird hours. It is part of the Newark system, but is barely the size of our back workroom here at New Albany. I feel so priviledged to be able to work at CML and even more so to be able to use the wonderful resources that we have. I would love to see other libraries succeed like CML. Libraries really are the key to not only information, but community, like George Bishop's small library.
Libraries are ever evolving entities, not just a box of books. Just in the 6 years that I've been with CML I've seen changes from self-checkout, to teen gaming, to even online fine payments and now Learn & Play! All of these changes have impacted our system for the better. I still remember as a child being able to check out stuffed animals...and that too changed. I'm looking forward to being a part of this systems growth and continued excellence. :)

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Cool photo!

I love waffles! I love pancakes! (inside joke :)